Lanús humiliates San Lorenzo in final


 Lanús overwhelmed San Lorenzo 4-0 in the Transitional Tournament playoff final yesterday to win its second league title.

 The victory at River Plate stadium was a deserved end to the season for Jorge Almirón’s side, which was the best team in the competition.



Lanús, a modest club from the southern suburbs of the capital which won its first title in 2007 with Ramón Cabrero as coach, had reached the final as runaway winners of Zone B, finishing six points clear of second-placed Estudiantes de La Plata after winning 12 of their 16 matches.



San Lorenzo, chasing a 13th league title, squeezed into the final by winning Zone A with a point against Godoy Cruz last weekend.



Forward Óscar Benítez headed Lanús in front in the 18th minute and Paraguayan Miguel Almirón snuffed out San Lorenzo’s bid to get back into the match with a fine solo goal for the second in the 58th.



José Sand, the tournament’s top scorer who was part of the 2007 title side, added the third and his 15th goal of the season in the 64th. Winger Lautaro Acosta rounded off the win in the 88th.



Both finalists qualified for next year’s Libertadores Cup.



Lanús dominated the match from the start, playing its usual attacking style with three forwards. Almirón’s side had its first scoring chance in the second minute, when Sand’s shot was blocked by goalkeeper Sebastián Torrico.



The Saints missed their captain, Néstor Ortigoza, who suffered an injury in the last match against Banfield. Without the midfielder, Pablo Guede’s side failed to show the style that helped it to reach the tournament final.



Lanús, which rested its first team players in the last two games of the tournament as it had already qualified for the title decider game, found the net in the 18th minute when Benítez anticipated Juan Mercier and scored with a header after Maximiliano Velázquez’s cross.



El Granate wasted more chances in the first half and finally doubled the difference in the 58th after a fantastic solo piece of play by Paraguayan midfielder Almirón, who used his skills and speed to reach the edge of the box and score with an accurate finish.



With two goals down, Guede sent on Uruguayan striker Martín Cauteruccio for defender Emmanuel Mas in the 72nd to have more men in attack, leaving only three in defence. Lanús took advantage of that and extended its lead three minutes later with a counter-attack that finished with Sand scoring after José Luis Gómez’s low cross.



San Lorenzo’s hopes died and Acosta sealed the victory two minutes from time.



Lanús fielded: Fernando Monetti; José Luis Gómez, Gustavo Gómez, Diego Braghieri, Maximiliano Velázquez; Román Martínez, Iván Marcone, Miguel Angel Almirón; Oscar Benítez, José Sand and Lautaro Acosta.



The Saints played with: Sebastián Torrico; Julio Buffarini, Marcos Angeleri, Matías Caruzzo, Emmanuel Mas; Juan Mercier; Fernando Belluschi, Franco Mussis, Sebastián Blanco; Ezequiel Cerutti and Nicolás Blandi.





Herald with DyN, Reuters


Compartir: Compartir en Facebook Compartir en Twitter Compartir en Linkedin
Seguinos en: Seguinos en Twitter Seguinos en Youtube Seguinos en Facebook Compartir en Linkedin Google+ Follow Me on Pinterest